max-bell50 from Max Bell on Vimeo.

Stats

For 50 years, Max Bell Foundation has supported Canadians who want to make Canada better. We recently crossed an important financial milestone. The endowment today has the same purchasing power as it did in 1972, and over the past 50 years that same dollar value has been donated to charities.

524 Grants made
$97,468,000 Donated to Canadian charities
100.64% Purchasing power of original endowment

Timeline

This year we’re looking both back at what’s been accomplished, and forward to the challenges ahead.

1912

George Maxwell “Max” Bell born in Regina, SK

1932

Max graduates from McGill University with a degree in commerce

1943

Max becomes publisher of The Albertan newspaper

1959

With Victor Sifton, Max forms FP Publications

1971

Max Bell Centre (Calgary) opens

1972

George R. Gardiner becomes first chair of the board of directors

Max Bell Foundation holds first board of directors meeting

1977

Max Bell Hall at Lester B. Pearson College of the Pacific opens

1978

Max Bell Foundation co-locates with Donner Canadian Foundation

1980

Max Bell Building at the Banff Centre opens

1981

Max Bell Centre (Winnipeg) opens

1985

Max Bell Theatre (Calgary) opens

1986

Max Bell Aquatic Centre (Lethbridge) opens

1989

Hon. James Richardson becomes chair of the board of directors

Max Bell and Donner Canadian Foundations establish independent operations

1996

Ronald N. Mannix becomes chair of the board of directors

1997

Max Bell Foundation moves from Toronto to Calgary

1998

Max Bell Foundation adopts mission focussed on public policy

2004

Carolyn Hursh becomes chair of the board of directors

2008

Launch of the Public Policy Training Institute

2017

Launch of the Max Bell School of Public Policy at McGill

2019

Brenda Eaton becomes chair of the board of directors